Monday, June 8, 2009

The Struggle

One of the great things about living in Florida is that the climate allows for many welcomed and not so welcomed wildlife adventures while working out. Today I did not feel like walking but as I exited the car Petey the peacock was out strutting his stuff and I thought i needed to shake mine as well, so on to the ugly details.I need to say the first half of my run should take no more than sixteen minutes at a mile and a quarter. That's awful time but where I'm at when I push it. Lately this is what is happening.
Today I had to find motivation were i could and usually pacing myself at various check points works. For instance, I know when i pass the dog park at about ten minutes into the walk that
I'm five minutes off pace. This is the point where I hit the jog/trot do whatever i can mode to reach check point two, which most often will be fifteen minutes away. By then I know I 'm ten minutes off pace and have about eight minutes left in the first lap. Turns out it took me thirty one minutes give or take the pit stop i made at the dog park. I break for fur kids, it's bad i know and at some point i resolve to be stronger.There was no kick in me at that particular moment is my explanation for stopping.
When i finally did finish I went looking for the peacock again. Petey was hanging out with a few mallards. It was kind of sad to see him following the ducks trying to make friends. He must be young and can't find a mate yet. I noticed the neighborhood cat watching it all including "mama" the raccoon who scampered off a roof and forged in the bushes. For the record I did not name them the locals did. As i walked back to my car I noticed swimmers doing laps in the lake, immediately i snapped back to refocus on the goal. I will be putting myself in a competition frame of mind as these relaxing strolls are not doing it for me. Weekdays are hard because I don't have other power walkers pulling me. I have to find that place inside that i can call up for the lonely morning workout.
I'm thinking an energy boost is in order too. As a vegetarian you'd think I pay more attention to
my diet. Today was a wake up call, regardless of what I used to do a thirty minute mile and a quarter sucks big time! Just glad to finish before it got to hot and the rains came. I will have to add the other three Fourths a mile in sometime this week. It's hurricane season and we are the lighting capital of the world. One more reason to get it over and done with early. I will be stopping at the store before i get home to make sure I don't hit the wall tomorrow for lack of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment