Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mustang Sally

The decision to complete the majority of my races locally came purely from an economical position. I knew if i went this route i could forget about finding interesting bling, i was wrong.
An event turned up in my news feed that grabbed my interest one morning.
An ad for the space coast classic Brevards only 15k included a nice picture of shining medals. The organizers are starting a new series that will feature a line of classic automobiles. I'm old enough to remember Detroit's heydays and you better believe i jumped at the chance to collect a medal depicting one of the cars of my youth.
To start things off this years medal was a 1964 Mustang. Seems old betsy (can you call a muscle car betsy) is turning fifty. I thought perfect we can celebrate together.
This old wannabe speedster signed up immediately after laying eyes on the bling. Actually, i quickly checked my calendar and was excited to discovered no race on that day. I did have a 10k on the schedule for Sunday but Saturday was open. No worries i told myself  if i walk a short distances on Saturday then Sunday i should be fine. I picked the two mile option to be safe.
Great choice i arrived beachside early maybe to early. Noone was there except workers and a rv that was boondocking on the post office parking lot. I found a spot on the eastern side of the street in the park by the beach and waited an hour for everyone else to showup.
Time fell  back on Sunday and it became clear i was going to endup walking in the dark to the starting line.
Once there i noticed that most of the participants were running the 15k but there were plenty of  people taking on the two miler. As the light of day finally found us i became a little excited to get going. Both races started from the same point but the routes were in opposite directions. The two miler moved along the intercoastal and through a local neighborhood before making an u turn back home.
I started off slow and never really warmed up. I heard an older man say he would  run the first mile than walk/jog the second. His group left me in the slow lane disappearing down the turnabout point street.  By the time i reached the one mile mark the only person behind me was an eighty year old. This woman competes in all the local races and wins because there's no one else in her age category.
Since i was alone again i tried to get in a run/walk rthyme to help myself speed up. It didnt work as well as i thought but it helped me stay on pace.
I can't say why two miles felt like forever but it did. I came across the line glad to finish but not happy with a seventeen minute pace. My bum knee is getting slower with each race but when i try and rest it the lack if training sends my pace into the turtle zone.
I collected my medal and stood around a bit before discovering i came in fourth in age group. One spot from a nice award bling. I love medal awards but i was pleased to see my time compared to the last two mile race i completed. I ended up winning a prize that made up for it anyway. I got a gift card for a RoadID which i promptly order at their anniversary sale. I'd say it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment