Sunday, January 11, 2015

Conquering the cold

When i left home the thermostat in my car read fifty four, by the time i got to Jacksonville it was thirty nine.
I had the heat on full blast and good thing i did because i drove around looking for metropolitan park for nearly an hour. It's not like I'm unfamiliar with the city but between construction,bad signage and it still being dark at 6am it was an adventure.
I was so thankful to have finally made it to a parking spot in the Jaguars stadium that the cold didn't concern me that much. I made a dash from there to packet pick up and then back to put the goody bag in the car. Not much was in there except the shirt so i slung it in the back. After that it was off to find the local BGR congregation. They were welcoming even though i started my I'm going to be last routine. They were having none of it and told me to run my race. Once introductions ended It was nearly show time so i took my place in line with the walkers. As i waited i watched people with gloves and full body hugging outfits pass me. One lady i talked to had on a parker. I don't know how she ran with it but she beat me. I didnt bother to dress warm. The last time i tried to wear layers i regretted it when i started heating up and couldnt take anything off. I will note that when the start signal went off i can say i was warm. Maybe not toasty but comfortable enough to not feel cold chills.
I hit the start strip and was off on what i thought would be just another 5k run. Nope this one was different from the beginning. I noticed a large crowd still around me, and they were all walkers. It was an unusaul situation for me to be in as I'm always alone within the first minutes of the race. Yet there i was with a crowd of people doing my pace. I looked to my left and saw a very thin lady in a red bathrobe looking jogging suit that reminded me of the eighties. She had a pink knit cap on her head from the same era. For some reason she touched and inspired me though i never saw her face. I just was happy she was put there showing me she could do the dang thing but i did wonder if she had been sick, she appeared fragile in build.
Then i looked behind me and saw people and felt uncomfortable. I had never experienced that many walkers slower than me. Two of them were Black girl run husbands. The wives were doing the half, i thought that was awesome.
My hands began to get cold enough to feel numb within a block, so i made a fist and kept opening and closing then placed them in my pocket. At that point i was consumed by having warm hands. I had my eyes on the view across an empty lot to watch the sunrise but i had not completely taken in my surroundings. I kept wondering why i started smelling coffee. That's when I looked up to see the Maxwell house plant. Hope the caffeine lovers had their jolt before the run because the aroma was a killer. It was a dark roast for sure and way to strong for me but the smells went with the morning walk theme at least. A nice brew and great views of Jacksonvilles skyline for breakfast, good to the last memory (couldn't resist ). By the time we came to the fork in the road where the 10k kept straight and we veered left i was in a groove. I watched a member of bgr and her running buddy keep pace as turned to leave them. They were run/walking slow but steady. I got the impression it was one of their first race at the distance. Looking at them I witnessed the power of support. In that moment while i watching them churn on down the line i knew i could benefit from a walk buddy like that. I picked up my own pace as we turned left towards the landing which is in the waterfront area. Assorted members of my back of the pack club began making their moves. We were closing in on the two mile mark and the space between me and them widened. Surprisingly my knee still felt great but i was afraid to take a chance with its well being by moving with them. I stayed behind them and ahead of the stranglers at a steady pace. Heading back around the same bend all the runners start from had me anxious to finish. Yes i felt accomplished because earlier i contemplated if i should even attend. Not even the half marthoner who said loudly as we passed "oh those are only the 5kers" to a friend, could dampen my spirit i was happy. As i walked i met a bgr and we talked for awhile it did feel good to not be alone as i headed home. I discovered we both were not only in bgr but girltrek and I was rocking my trekkie colors too. Would have done red but having retired my red shoes from the road there will be no red or pink outfits until i get new kicks. A woman must be coordinated. I logged the final stretch with a light sprint at the finish and it was over. This event goes down as a wonderful experience for me. Yes this was the best damn race i have been to thus far.