Friday, January 23, 2015

MLK 5k Walk

There was no scheduled MLK races in my neck of the woods and i did not have a community service project lined up so i took to the streets with a group of locals for the annual three mile march to honor the civil rights hero .

In recent years it has become a tradition for me to checkout the parades and festivals around the state for the holiday and this year the 5k walk meant something special to me. Im taking back my health and looking to set an example in my town of what just thirty minutes of walking can do. I knew at the end of the parade vendors would be selling fried fish dinners, mac and cheese, and all kinds of cakes and pies. These are foods our community and southerners in general need to leave alone or change the way we prepare them. I'll leave that lecture alone though. On the day of the walk I parked at the local auditorium which was the site of the mlk festival and ending point for the parade. They dont have shuttles so i had to walk back towards the starting point to meet up with the marchers. I caught up with the group midway and settled in behind a local high school band. It's a shame that the kids in the band were the only diversity i saw. Along the way i had am interesting conversation with a lady who was sporting her AKA shirt who told me she graduated from central state university. The sororities were out in force the deltas are always out but it was nice to see zetas and sigmas too. By the time the freedom march made it to the civic centers parking lot the crowd that didn't walk had picked up. Yes i was disappointed that other cultures in the community especially black islanders and Hispanics didn't show up. This is a celebration all Americans should embrace though. Our country needs to unite and stand together but i degress. It was a good walk and i felt honored to have met some postive people.

No comments:

Post a Comment