Monday, July 28, 2014

Sweet Relief

I was imprisoned by this heat over the weekend. Yesterday 97, today local forecast called for the same with an index over one hundred again. I guess groundhog day is true lol.
Sunday the frustrationing wait to step out and pound the pavement finally drove me to consider checking elsewhere to run. So i scanned the web looking for some 5ks that might be fun.The results have not been great so far but it's summer in Florida when the weather cools i should have better luck. The sunshine state has its best events in the winter. At this time of the year local 5ks abound
most are over priced fundraisers benefitting everything from aunt frans bingo club to local charity. I have grown to love my walks but i will only enter an event i believe in.
Finding some of my favorite causes that are close to home and thus wont break my bank is not proving easy.
Since I have been watching the women of blackgirlsrun develop i  peeked at their site to find something.
I don't know if it's me but that has got to be one of the best money making machines in the business right now. Come on out and get fit at our event $$$$. Buy our clothing $$$$ and run our race $$$$. Im not hating,  most running events are organized for profit and not charity on the series circuit. The few  exceptions  being the large societies that hold events nation wide for causes like cancer etc. Not sure if bgr is a nonprofit but I am glad they are around. Looking at the lives the movements has transformed coast to coast brings joy to me.
However Im not a fanatic and cant spend thousands on races that are not a necessity. I can do the miles at home. There's no need for me to pay someone else to run. Yet my truth is,  I know i want to hold myself accountable and am bored doing it alone. Just knowing that i can accomplish something that seemed so far out of reach a few months ago and share it with others would be victory to me. So i have decided to give Bgr my good money and take their virtual walk to run challenge. I will consider it a donation to them, that way the twenty six bucks out my pocket won't bother me as much lol.
I was so happy with my decision i looked at the 7am temperature and decided seventy nine was doable. I put on my new walking outfit and grabbed a bottle of gatorade.There was plenty of shade from the trees on the block as the sun was rising. Great,  i thought what a blessing to be able to walk. Then my lower back started hurting and my foot had an ache. I wasn't turning back though, i called on the lord because negative energy doesn't rule me. In the middle of the block it all got better every pain left me. Guess  i just needed to warm up.
Then a thought came to me,  run. No joke, i have been walking all this time and often jogged to a stop sign but run never entered my mind. I went with it, what i ended  up doing was somewhere between a jog and run but i was moving. I managed about ten minutes of the motion out of the thirty i did. It felt great, how surprising that just the act of signing up for an event gaves my body incentive to move.
I didn't push myself or over heat i just went with what felt right. Im so excited instead of imagining myself a runner I'm doing it. Okay you may say that was one day and a few blocks. For me it was a major leap forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment