Saturday, July 26, 2014

Will it ever end

I thought after a month of eighty and ninty degree temperatures with  heat indexes in the one hundred range the misery would be over.
Nope. the temp today was eighty nine at 7:30 when i stepped out of the house. I hadn't gotten a fourth of a mile before the water started pouring off me. My mission wasn't to get in a long walk today it was just to move.
Im still recovering from that brush with near heat stroke and have been getting my exercise inside ie big box grocery stores . I even brought a jump rope and have to admit i almost grabbed a houla hoop too. There's no shame in my game these days. Im trying to stay in form but mother nature is not cooperating with me.
I made sure i was hydrated before the walk and packed two bottles of sports drinks to carry with me. I was so glad to have found one of my favorite flavors lemonade, so i stocked up. Oh the simple pleasures in life mean so much to me now. I buy a variety of flavors when the local grocery has the multi packs bogo. Im one of those mood drinkers, it all depends on  an assortment of variables as to whoch is the flavor du jour.
In the summer months i have to drink them warm on a walk. If i chill them I'll end up with stomach cramps. We all should pay attention to our bodies.
I was prepared for the  movement but not the company. I saw something black fly in the thick vines that covered some trees along the path i was takimg. Silent except for the rusting of branches i was a little taken back. In the next seconds i smelled it, the aroma of death, decaying flesh the black figure was a vulture. I made it down the street before the  party started. I will not get anywhere near those things. So i picked up my pace holding my breath as rhe smell nearly overwhelmed me. When i looked back i saw at least five in the tree i passed. They must like hiding because if i had seen them i would have crossed the street.
I continued on struggling through heat that drained my energy and forced me to call it a day. Two miles, that was it. My legs were still fresh but the heat was a deadly adversary and it won. I would've loved to walk later in the day but storms were brewing and there was a tornado watch. Rain and winds make evening treks a no go these days. I miss them and Im behind on my 5ks. I took a look at next weeks forecast, surprise more of the same. Seems like i may have to become a mall walker until we get a much needed  break in temperature. I sure hope the seniors dont lap me, some of them are power walkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment