Thursday, August 14, 2014

#Positive Signs

Yesterday i was reading through threads on the NBMA boards and came across a powerful message.
One of the members shared an inspiring story about an event that  happened to her while exercising.
Out on her usaul morning run in the city she came to a stop at an intersection. While waiting for the light to change she noticed a young  woman in her car lean over for something. When she raised up again she unfolded a sign that said YOU ARE PERFECT.
She stood shocked but then it hit her what an inspiring gesture. After all she had been worried about the few pounds she picked up in the last month. By the time she finished her workout and got home inspiration to pass it on called to her.
She made her own sign and posted a picture of herself holding it in a thread called postive signs. She then asked one question, what would your sign say.
It touched me because I'm now a caregiver who until recently let herself go.  In the mist of the pain i felt talking care of an elderly parent i became an emotional eater. I didn't realize i had stopped caring about myself until i picked up some literature at a seniors expo. It was a pamphlet that had a list of ten signs of caregiver burn out. Reading through i was horrified to learn i had eight of them. From that day until now i have kept a vow to myself to take better care of me.
In the past i would say i don't care about my plight i need to make sure my mom's alright. I became lost in that statement. I simply ceased to breathe thinking i was doing the right thing because i love and cherish my mother. What i overlooked was the fact i couldn't help mom if i wasn't taking care of my own mental and physical needs.
So this year I decided to reclaim me. I started walking and that lifted my spirts.In fact the old me started shining through my gloom. I enjoyed walking and as i looked around and saw people running  on my strolls i decided i needed to run too.
I came back to this blog and wondered why i had given up the idea to complete a triathlon. My answer was i hadn't, i just put it on the back burner. Well the pot is nolonger simmering it's at a boil.
My attitude about my health has totally changed just by taking an hour a day to move my body forward. I wanted not only to feel better but look it too. I brought new running clothes and let my oversized tshirts and jeans from the mens section go. No more fat girl dressing. I used to take pride in how i looked. It wasnt vanity just dressing nicely but once i gained over one hundred pounds that all went out the door. I only wanted to be comfortable, which is hard when every large size has elastic and is covered in giant flowers prints. I refused to wear that mess.
In January I gave up sodas and although i have not totally gone vegetarian i eat less meat. I hadn't touched beef in years but fried food proved a little harder to let go of.
As i walk/run everyday i feel powerful. I cant say i lost weight although some friends have said so. All i know is what Im doing is good for my soul. Up until recently I had not thought of encouragement from strangers as a source of inspiration. Then Sunday in the park as i played jog to a certain pointr a runner said to me "way to go, keep it up". He gave me the thumbs up as he ran by. I know he would not have said it if i wasnt over weight but i took it in a postive light. A few days later i read a thread written by a pioneering black marathoner who not only give props ti the long distance runners but those of us just starting out and working on the 5ks. You dont find many marathoners giving the 3 milers credit but we all must start somewhere. It's not easy moving two hundred plus pounds down the road but everyday i wake up and do just that. If i were to hold up my positive sign it would read.....

No comments:

Post a Comment