Saturday, August 30, 2014

Doing the work

If you want something bad enough you have top put in the work to get it. Today i did just that by walking to the grocery store and getting my run in too.
I was lucky this morning the sky was overcast making my 7am trek a little easier. Alone becuase 6am is to early and dark for me to join members of one of the clubs i belong to for a run. Actually it's funny that two of the groups i joined were running in the same place at the same time while i was home getting dressed.
Mornings are my meditation and then writing time. I try not to let anyone or anything disrupt me as my soul enters the day. It is the only part of day that I am relaxed and at peace. So i felt a little sadness that unless they change schedules i will not be running with them before the sun rises.
After the sun came up i was ready though. I thought over the idea of going for a brisk walk and then returning home and showering before going back out to walk to the store. It didn't make sense, so i threw on a backpack for the groceries  and made my way to the market.
One of the two groups that was doing a early workout was wearing pink to honor a member of the team. So I dressed in a pink and black running outfit also to show support for the sister runner lost to domestic voilence.
I felt really good as i made my way through the neighborhood. Half way into the first mile i hit the gas and ran a bit. Ive lost a step, the pre heatwave me could really move but i kept rolling.
Suddenly i heard a strange noise and i knew it wasn't the ducks by the "lake". Proceeding slowly i continued looking at houses as i passed by street entrances. The sounds were becoming more distinct. Screams, horrible crys for help it sounded like. I couldnt figure it out, where were they coming from. I really didn't want to run up on some crime scene. The closer i got to the park i realized it was a track and field event. Middle schoolers cheering on their teams in a cross country race. Through the woods it sounded like howling a bit. With that mystery solved my walk continued watching kids move through the course encouraged me. There was a straggler wearing a knee brace,one lone black kid and some fast runners who had finnished and ran back on the course to cheer on their respective teammates.
My mind traveled to the place that held memories of when i was their age. I wasnt into running cross country, softball and lacrosse were my thing. My schools fall sports were badmitten and field hockey.< I wasn't trying out for those lame teams. Still i looked at the young girls running and said to myself your future is yours to write. In comparison i thought of myself, where am i going from here. I heard the starter pistol go off just as i was exiting that part of the park. I had never dreamed i would one day be old, fat and struggling to make a three mile journey to the store on foot back then.
My feet took off jogging again
I spotted a police car hiding in the bushes. Guess that was park security for the people at the track event. I paid him no attention as i raced to the break in the yellow strip in the middle of the access road. Throwing up my hands in the finnish line stance i was feeling joyed.
Even though I rolled through the park and yet again was passed by senior citizens i was happy. The two older ladies who did lap me looked at me and said as they passed me, its okay we have more experience than you. We all laughed nut it did trouble me i need to work on strength training, it will help my endurance. I know i got myself up and out and God is good for letting me do it. As i exited the park it was just me and the rabbits. One hopped off the other stood her ground. I was left wondering if she had babies and was she protecting them.Whatever the reason was she didn't move and i decided to take advantage of the opportunity and snap a picture. It came out better than my selfie at least.

I assumed this is a mother rabbit and i wondered about the fallen sister. Was she a mother and how will her mother cope with the loss. I dedicate this walk to all those who have suffered though domestic violence. Many lives have been lost and ruined and not enough is being done to protect those affected. All i can do is pray that laws change.

No comments:

Post a Comment