Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day 5k

I left the house late this morning and i ended up paying the price for procrastinating. At a little after 8am it was already humid out but thankfully the sky was overcast and there was plenty of shade from the large oak trees lining my path.
I knew right away it was going to be a tough day. My first mishap was forgetting to note the time i began the walk what a big mistake. Seems odd that my beloved but departed Motorola phone had a stopwatch feature but my much newer adriod doesn't. I could care less about most apps they can be used as spying devices. Alright so is my phone but i disabled gps and i know Facebook is tracking almost everything about me. I just find myself sick of being forced into technology that hungers for information on my habits and where i go. Dont get me wrong i like the idea of apps some of them are really cool but not the ones that get in my business. I dont want my route mapped i only want to monitor and keep my time. I would like one watch that can do that without me having a fear of trying to reset it if something happens. Who has not been in that position with a new gadget.
While thinking about the simplicity i want for my life i looked around and realized that not many people were out. Then I spotted a couple crossing over to my side of the street and then take off running. Normally i try to use fast moving targets ahead of me as a pull. If they are moving quickly, I'm  moving faster to keep them in sight. This was not the case today. I had no umpth, not even a spark. These feet of mine remained flat and weighted like lead. I had no bounce and as the pair faded in the distance the universe told me today was not a keeping up with the jones kind of day. So i focused on the idea of finnishing the walk even though i just started it.
My spirit wanted to move, this body said okay but negative  energy was saying the heck with it lets go home. I decided to rebuke those bad vibes and go for it.  Thats when the second foley happened.I wasnt paying attention as i crossed the street and entered the part of my run i nicknamed gateway.  Its the begining of my run segment and sets the rhythm of the days course. I was walking in the middle of a narrow side street while my mind was involved in cheering on this body to move. I didn't noticed what danger i put myself in. Thank goodness i turned in time to see a pickup in position to take me out. Luckily the driver saw my confused circle as i stood startled in the middle of the road like future road kill. He rolled down his window and wished me a blessed day, i sure needed it.
I always run in the road on side streets to save my bad knees. The concrete would have long since done me in if i stayed on the pavement . Guess i need to stay focused.
The rest of the morning wasnt to bad. I got in a few run burst but failed to make a twenty minute mile. It was devastating, i had a twenty six minute ser at mile one followed by a twenty seven. On a good note my last mile was twenty two. A far cry from the PR twelve minute but I'll take it. I almost felt over heated so i really didnt push that hard.The Gatorade i was carrying wasnt going down easy.
Im also thinking of changing my shoes too. I noticed my times vary depending on the brand. Today i had in cheap filas, they matched but aren't good for anything.

Lastly i lost a minute when i stopped to wait for an even slower creature than myself to past. I found it fitting that on my way home this guy crossed my path. I waited so he would not turn and try to go out in the street to avoid me. In the area i saw him the turtles like to cross between ponds. No wonder it is also a hang out for vultures as well. All said and done i got in four miles total and i feel sore at the moment . I have a way to go in the conditioning department but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment