Friday, September 5, 2014

Run for Ovarian Cancer

My bad knee has been bothering me since Tuesday and it couldn't have started to act up at a worst time. I decided it wasnt putting a damper on my 5k schedule though.
So today i shook off the disappointment of the promise organizers made that if i signed up more than a week before the race my race bib would be here before the event date. I ended up hitting the road without it.
Despite being stiff i made my way down the street. The first thing i see on the trek are tree trimmers and I thought, oh no there goes my shade.

I will miss the extra breeze provided by the over hanging branches guess this means i will have to get out a little earlier. Thankfully It wasn't as humid as it has been but compensating for my knee caused the big toe on my good leg to start hurting. Somehow i managed a eighteen minute first mile despite my hobbled state. My time was all down hill after that. I was stuggling so bad an old women wearing a big floppy brimmed church hat smoked me. I saw her as i entered the loop i like to walk. That hat just stood out and mama was moving too. I felt i could catch her but apparently she was on a mission and taking care of business. She left me so far behind that i never saw her again after she turned a corner. Then an older couple passed me,the husband seemed to be walking a moderate pace while the wife who was short a petite struggled to keep up with him. Once they passed i was finally alone with my thoughts. My pace started to slacked off and i began to struggle. I stopped a few seconds to get out the sports drink because the bottle of water i polished off had done nothong to quence my thirst. Alone again should be my theme song but this time as i restarted my engine i said a prayer for those who suffer from ovarian cancer. Its a tough battle to wage. Years ago i had a next door neighbor whose mother died of it and my moms coworkers sister who was only in her twenties was claimed by it as well. The later was misdiagnosed, a really sad story. That's why i limped on, it was a walk not only for a cure but of rememberence. I made the last if the three miles in 1 hour 22 mins. I have to give thanks to the lord for letting me make it between my big toe and the knee on the opposite side acting like polar vortexs it wasnt easy. God bless anyone dealing with this type of cancer my prayers are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment