Sunday, September 21, 2014

Detroit Womens 5k

I put off running this particular event early do to a busy schedule. After a rainy Saturday i checked the calendar and realized it was the actual date for women run the D .
I hadn't gotten an outfit together. So i hopped on the computer and turned my race number into a nice personal. Im no artist but it looked pretty good printed out on a light beige  parchment  paper.
Of all the events i have entered virtually thus far  this has been the best. The emails were informative and timely. Although i wasnt physically going to be there i enjoyed the updates on everything one needed to know for the race. They sent a link so i could find my bib number and a virtual goodie bag. I hadn't gotten one of those before. Nothing the sponsors offered appealed to me but i felt like i was really a part of this race. All of the emails helped me stay connected and ready to work for the bling but i was tired. I hadn't walked in a week to save my knee. Running was out of the question and i was bothered by the fact that going it alone is not helping to improve my abilities. Hey the show must go on so i drove to a new area to complete this walk.
I wanted to try something new becuase every race is different i figured why keep doing the same routes.
So I choose a nice little park with a small loop. I hadn't realized how small the perimeter was, looks can be deceiving.  My first lap told the not so great story though. The pedometer read .37 shock and regret filled me. I wasnt in the mood to circle the park the needed amount of times to get 3.1 in. So the next trip around i found an back path that looped around the swimming pool area and circled the parking lot. It brought me back to the loop without leaving the shaded confines of the park. Bingo, i picked up about a forth of a mile and it made my laps a little more interesting.
On my second loop i was close to two miles and feeling warmed up and was able to sprint from a group of trees to a fork in the path. It was my only attempt to move faster. I think even the parks turtles were moving faster than me. I was getting it done though.
My mind stayed focused, i was not questioning myself and the course was attractive which kept me on my toes and engaged.
Yes I got in my 5k and enjoyed it. I might go back to that local park but if i do I'll run. The lake and fountains were nice and the towering  boxwoods made for such a great running course.
All in all im proud of myself, this journey has not been easy and truthfully its a bit lonely. I gotten to the point that when i run my last steps to cross the finnish line i dont care who sees my arms raised in victory. I've done my thing and that's all that matters to me. Today it took 1:13 not great but it's in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment