Sunday, September 7, 2014

Rectify the race

I walked this race as a second half of a double header 5k Saturday September 6th. Despite resting five minutes between 'races" It was the hardest three miles of my life.
With an aggravated knee injury keeping me from run/walking and combat boots to support my arches it was a struggle. I could barely move had to give myself a prep talk and sing an inspirational song. Okay Sly and the family Stones "you can make it if you try" is not gospel but it helped.
I discovered something about today too. I am an impatient runner, had no idea of this. During training all i wanted to do was finish and build enough stamina to run three miles.
Yet as i walked all i could think about was how slow i was moving. I wanted to run but was afraid the knee would revolt. So i envisioned myself running while i walked (strange i know ) . Worst i wore a digital pedometer and watched it every chance i got. That was a big mistake, it made every step feel like an hour long journey. By mile four i was frustrated and the dogs were getting tired. I was in shape though i had more miles in me but the ajusted walking style was murdering my feet. At that point i wanted it all to be over.
Then i remembered the walk was about cancer. I found it ironic that i signed up for two races this weekend that were in support of the fight against cancers. It made my stuggle seem trivial so glad i can give a voice to the cause. I wished i could have just relaxed enough to enjoy the ride.
all I i could think of was all summer long i looked forward to race season and then this injury happened. 
Im making lemonade of the situation right now. At this time i may be over weight but Iam able to get out and stay active so i wont push to hard and throw my body out of wack. I want to stay fit and avoid injuries.
One thing i know for sure is cancer is no joke and life goes by way to fast. I m not taking this ride on planet earth lightly. I walked this race in solidarity with those that can't because they are battling a cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment