Sunday, September 14, 2014

Turtle Krawl

Your first "official" race is supposed to be memorable. That's why i choose to enter a local race for my inaugural in person race. It's a worthy cause I'm passionate about and benefits local business. In this case the Brevard zoo  joint vent with the sea turtle preservation society for a rescue facility.
I'll be honest and say i was a little bit upset that the only bling for the race was going for the top finishers and age group. Then i woke one morning to a post on facebook that you could buy a beautifull turtle finnisher medal to commemorate the event.
Yeah, I let out a big cheer but when i found out it was twenty dollars i deflated.  The price made a total of fifty dollars for a 5k. Good cause or not it was to rich for my blood and my run schedule. I'm running every weekend and the dollars are really starting to add up. Still i cant lie i asked and was sent the form to add it. I eventually decided against my own bling lust and just resigned myself to having the shirt.
So Saturday morning i left my house early to insure a good parking spot on beachside. I was surprised to find i wasn't early enough to get the prime spots across from the park where the race area was but i did snag a spot a few blocks away.
I was supposed to meet the ladies from one of my running groups but i couldn't find them. I happened to see one becuase she was wearing the organizations shirt and we took some pictures before the start of the race. I was in run walk mode so that was the last i saw of them as they sprinted off.
When the horn for the race went off i wondered if I'd be passed and pushed aside while walking fast. Nope, racers were more polite than those i encounter on the path that i take on my daily run.
I also found out running is like going to Walmart. You never know who you might come across amongst the people you know. I saw people i never knew where in to racing and a few i hadn't seen in ages. It was wonderful talking with them and meeting new folks as well. I was starting to see why people become addicted to the sport but the fun didnt last forever. The pace was to fast for me and instead of doing my pace i tried to keep up. That wasn't the only flaw in my game but it was the worst. Around mile one boredom set in, there should be a rule about how many turns a race can have. That course had more twist then a slivering snake. It drove me crazy and my bad knee was starting to act up to add more problems to my list of troubles.
As i entered into the second mile i wanted to leave the race. I had no joy and it felt like it was taking forever to get back to the beach. I thought why did i even bother to sign up this is no fun. If i were doing a virtual race i would have been having more fun. I question myself on why had i lost my mind and decided to take part in all these races.
That feeling didnt ease up until i neared a half mile from the finish mark. The sun was starting to shine bright enough to nullify the ocean breeze. Yet by that time i was determined to push my now throbbing knee towards home. I realized i liked widing through the neighborhood and seeing  whats back there on the side streets.  I saw some ocean shacks and a house wirh an entrance frame by a huge hidge it was an awesome entrance. There was a cool turtle mailbox and a great view of the ocean at sun rise. I got none of those picks i now regret. I did want the people behind me passing.
I was amused too with the high school kids holding signs and shouting encouragements to complete their required community service credits. Mostly the girls enjoyed it. I saw a few dead faced boys who would have rather been home lol. Finally my all time favorite moment of the day happened way back in the first mile. Some sneaky people tried to bring their little dog,( who was not allowed) in by pushing it in a stroller. Well the darn thing started barking its head off and when last i them they were on the side of the road in their event tops trying to quiet it down.
As i approached the finish i ran the final fourth of a mile. I wanted to pass a few people and improve my standings. I crossed alone and hoped my gapped mouth pic doesnt show up anywhere. The feeling of victiry was mine. I had decided to run again now that the whole ordeal is over. I received no bling but i broke a person best by nine minutes. That made me feel better about myself after what seemed like every senior citizen in the pack passed me. The say about run your race and compete against yourself comes to my mind. I won because i improve and now know my possibilities and limits in organized races. I now know what to work on for next year. Oh yes i shall return and medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment