Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 1 Bloody Sunday

Walking these fifty four miles has been a private affair for me. I am on the road to rediscovering my strength, not exactly a news worthy event. I have told few people about this. Well maybe more because i posted in one of my running groups and there are 400 lurkers in there and of course i have this blog but how many read it besides me is another lost in cyber story. Still i agonized over how i would commorate what happened. I thought about just walking silently and it suited me.Then i thought about the Carter Woodson quote above and said to myself walking with a picture feels right. It was just a selma50 logo nothing fancy but the photo kiosk in the store wasn't working. I ending up making a sign instead and off i went to find a bridge. I put on my water belt, grabbed my sign and headed for the bridge. It was 2:30, late to be walking in Florida but i wasn't on a time schedule. I did want to walk the same time they did in Selma but gave that up in favor of just doing what i have to do. I decided to park downtown and maybe get in more miles before the bridge but it was hot ( it felt like it was 80 degrees) but was only seventy with a nice breeze in the shade. Unfortunately my route was not under the cover of trees. The usaul farmers market was going on so i warmed up by walking through there before heading to the bridge. As I arrived on the path to the entrance of the park that sits below the bridge a couple coming down the path from the bridge saw me and crossed the street to the other side. Curiosity got the best of them and the wife crossed back over to see what the sign said. She gave words of encouragement and i continued on. My knees were killing me as i approached the beginning but i was determined to keep moving even if it meant creeping along. I was not alone though i had my phone out playing the glory song from the selma movie. I haven't downloaded any gospel songs to my phone and dont like to walk to music but the occasion dictated the need for inspiration. I decided glory wasn't enough and thought up my own gospel hymns. It felt good to sing in black church voice considering Im catholic and cant hold a tune. I now know why they sang when they marched, as it made the incline in front of me easier to walk. As i was climbing up people were descending, the majority read the sign. An older white couple looking like the Archy bunker type gave me hateful looks. I found it amusing because the husband had the most artificial deep brown tan. Love my skin color and can't stand me,i have always found that interesting. I got maybe a look of confusion and a smile or two but i wasn't there to show out or off just walk. Let me say i was praising the Lord the entire time, it took divine intervention to help me make that trip up. Once i reached the top and prepared to go down the other side my knees stopped hurting. I may have hobbed up but my descent was slow and steady, i was truly thankful for that. As i came to the end of the bridge i saw a young man. He was looking at his phone but then eyed me. I knew that look he had a question. He wanted to know a little bit more about the sign. He told me he had heard of it but didnt know the details. So i told him what i knew which certainly not everything as im learning the story myself. This young man walked with me for a mile as we talked about whi we are as individuals and how we see the world. Turns out he is into community and though he no longer lives in the area he is doung good things in his new city. We need more people like him, its one thing to talk but when you practice what you preach that says more about who you are. As we walked across a lower span bridge we pasted an older black gentleman who shook my hand. He liked the sign and was supportive of what i was doing. It meant a lot to me because we all don't have to march or be vocal but unity in the community has its place. I was appreciative of both those twi individuals because i was enriched by coming in contact with them. As we neared the causeway for my return trip i bid the young man farewell and took a photo. I hadn't expected company but it sure was a blessung. After leaving hin a runner i pasted on the way over stopped. She saw the sign the first time but wanted to give me advice on how to do the miles. She was so excited wishing me well, often people become moved enough to tell me way to go. Im under no delusions about the fact my large size plays a factor. This time i knew her intention was genuine and the heartfelt wish for my success came from an encouraging place. Today my decision to syay home seems wise. Its the places where we live work and play that we should be reaching out and making change. We have to connect to each other on our home turf. I did that this Sunday and can't wait continue the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment