Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day 2

On day two of the freedom marchers journey they had done over twenty miles. This is a feat graced by the hands of God. Not many people crunch a half marathon everyday in business attire nonetheless. 
So i got a little down on myself for being on mile six. If i could make my dream come true I'd trek fifty miles through the county one way camping at night and eating pasta dinners like the marchers. Yet my reality is a few road miles a day until i hit fifty four and that's okay.
I'm working on increasing mileage with every segment i do. I've not had a ten mile day yet but the miles I'm accumulating are rewarding. I know i could knock out fifty four on the treadmill in four days but my desire from day one was to take it on the road and in whatever weather comes my way.
So this morning i woke feeling like crap, i had a headache and my arches hurt but walking was still on my mind. I decided to skipped the morning run to let my body recover from the ailments it was battling and by noon i did feel better despite my "senior" pains. In addition I needed to be accountable to my running buddy for the day. A lady in my running group responded to a post i made about my March goals. I didn't mention why because it is not a predominantly African American group but she and some others figured it out, it pays to surround yourself with people who are thinkers.

We met at a running spot and walked. For those not in the running community this was an act of kindness that i truly appreciated. Runners run and walking at a slow twenty minute pace is a sacrifice. Im limping my way through life right now and its all i can do to maintain a steady pace. When someone who likes to log miles at a faster pace then you offers to go your pace it's a gift. I throughly enjoyed the conversation and quickly learned how out of shape I am. I was not used to talking while moving as a solo trekker and i struggled with my breathing during the chat. Everything else went well though we logged four miles that officially was 4.7. I top it off later to five as i ended up running an errand and could not resist walking the grocery store parking lot to get the extra tenths of the mile in. Today i say thank you to Keneen,who else but a sister runner would walk with me while dodging horse manure to get an extra mile on the way to fifty four.

No comments:

Post a Comment