Monday, April 12, 2010

Dangerous and STUPID move Week two Day 8

On Fridays trip to Green cove I passed a hiking trail and made a mental note. I actually stopped in to the parking lot and saw a sheriffs deputy. I asked him some questions about the trail and he informed me to just stay on the path. People have gotten lost but they had taken unmarked routes through the woods and become confused. I took his advice and decided someone needed to know where I was before I went marching off.
Sunday I woke up with Black creek on my mind and decided to get my hike on.
I forgot to check the weather but when I looked out the window it was sunny.
I left a note with the parks name, what entrance I would be at and time i expected to be back on the refridgerator.
In the time it took me to stop and get some food items for my hike the sky
had become cloudy. I figure even if it rained it would not last long and i was prepared if it did anyway. I started off okay and then I did a bad thing, alright a dumb a#$ thing. The first path ran towards a lake but it did not run along side of it like I had planned to go. Just as I realized this an old white man was walking back up the path and I ask him about the trails. He said he didn't know the one I was looking for but he knew the other trail and he would walk back that way me. Who does stupid things like that, not me oh wait I did. So now I'm following some old man through the woods and he is pointing out the various trails. I didn't get a bad feeling from him and I bet he was wondering the same thing about me to. We parted ways once we got to the point I was looking for but just thinking about how I'm following this guy in unfamiliar territory had me searching for answers about my mental health. I don't trust folk and I talk about people who walk/run with ipods for the very reason. You can't be stupid and unaware in fact most people are killed within ear and eye sight of well traveled paths. I'm admitting to this stupidity because I had become to relaxed and assured I could get myself out of the situation. As an avid camper I have relied on guides, friendly hikers, and strangers you name it to make my way through national parks. Those days are gone and lucky for me the lord saw fit that I did not run into a serial killer, rapist or whatever. Old doesn't mean harmless they are the crafty ones. Even though I take my bible everywhere and prayed before I left the car you can bet I was thanking the higher power that day for taking care of babies and fools like me. Oh yes the rest of the hike turned out good I got my water shot and left with more than a hiking memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment