Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Sunday Treking Day One

I do not have a routine for walking yet and when it comes to Sundays that often is a problem. Traditionally that's the day I refuse to do anything on the internet and try to at least get in some just me time void of human interaction. So I found myself in the kitchen 4:30 am Easter morning preparing dinner. Under normal circumstances I would have cooked the day before but I was not in the mood. Instead I prepped everything on Friday so that on Sunday all I had to do was turn so knobs on the stove and hit a timer. Okay maybe it wasn't that simple but it was a quick walk through. My plan was simple, finish up chef duties in time to honor the Florida tradition of Easter sunrise service on the beach. I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by taking a walk down the beach after mass and not worry about finding a parking space at the park.
Oh how wrong could I get, one of the greatest evils in all the world are electric stoves! I love gas heat but living in hurricane country it's hard finding it in most residences. Outside of powering up the a BBQ grill that form of joyous cook is sparse. Don't get me wrong there are neighborhoods here that have gas but they are few and far in between. I personally could not rest with 100 hour winds blowing those big old tanks around anyway, so I stick to professional sized grills just not this Easter. That's why it took three hours to cook what should have been a hour and a half meal. Having completed that task I took the time to eat around nine to avoid being hit by the smell of ham and who knows what else might cooking around the area I was walking.
I made it out of the house by ten and headed straight to the water. I have been walking bridges and river walk for a few weeks and was kind of glad that there were actually a few people out and about. I did my stretches and got about a forth of a mile before seeing one sister who was a runner powering back to her car listening to the ipod. Right behind her came another sister with a t shirt that read run run run but she was walking. Now I don't know about other folks but in this day and age I refuse to listen to music while out walking alone like these ladies. I feel you need to be alert when milling around especially if not in a group. Outside of the exchanged good mornings we said nothing but the third lady I run into at the top of the "hill" wasn't wearing an ipod and I was able to spark her interest in the trek challenge and give her the web address. Hopefully she will be out power walking again soon. I will be honest I cut my walk short and only did half the route which took about forty five minutes.
On the way home I could not resist stopping at a local park and walking it's loop too. The draw of a yoga class under a patch of oak trees caused me to slow down and listen as the instructor encourage the participants to find center. It really was a peaceful spot the azaleas were in full bloom against a back drop of boats sailing across the water. The lure of a couple fishing was to much to resist. I made my way over to their spot and asked what they usually catch. The answer, anything from catfish, bass, trout or whatever passes through. They were really excited about the 27 inch bass caught a few days before.I think I walked another twenty minutes taking in families as they picnicked and rope walkers trying to tight walk from one side of the park to another between oak trees. Yes it was a happy Easter although it was also the anniversary of Dr Kings assassination. Now that I think of it just me time is the perfect time to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment